My first drink of the day is usually hot water with lemon because it's such an easy way to detox and do something good for my body. Lemons are packed with vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and fiber which all boast numerous health benefits.
1. Boosts Immunity. Lemons provide a natural boost to the immune system which helps the body protect itself from stress.
2. Aids Digestion. Lemons have been shown to be effective in relieving indigestion, heartburn and bloating.
3. Supports Digestive Health. Lemons soothe the digestive system by neutralizing and flushing stored toxins as well as stimulating and strengthening the liver.
4. Relieves Pain and Inflammation. Lemon water helps to dissolve uric acid buildup in joints and knees to ease inflammation.
5. Enhances Skin Health. They contain a high level of antioxidants which help protect against free radical damage and prevent acne and wrinkles.
<6. Balances pH Levels. The alkalizing effect of lemons counterbalance the body's pH levels against acid forming foods like alcohol, sugar and fat.
7. Improves Moods. The potassium in lemons is a natural mood enhancer that helps to reduce anxiety and depression.
8. Freshens Breath. Lemons contain natural essential oils which clean and freshen your mouth, prevent gingivitis and relieve toothaches.
9. Aids Weight Loss. The pectin fiber in lemons is beneficial for colon health which reduces bloating and also counters hunger cravings.
10. Soothes Colds. Drinking warm lemon water when you're sick can help soothe a sore throat as well as loosen up congestion and prevent dehydration.
To make, just squeeze the juice of a half a lemon into a cup of hot or warm water. It's best to consume this 15 - 20 minutes before having your breakfast so your body can absorb all the goodness and your metabolism will also get a jumpstart. To protect the enamel on your teeth, be sure to brush them before drinking lemon water. You can also try drinking it through a straw or rinsing your mouth afterwards. I don't happen to drink coffee ever and I find that lemon water is a great energizer in the mornings since lemons have a high concentration of negatively charged ions which improves oxygen uptake and brain function. I also sometimes drink a cup at night if I've had a particularly heavy meal and can vouch for the digestive benefits. It has to be hot though.
Do you drink lemon water? What is your first drink of the day?